Going Green at Olympia Horse Show
As organisers of Olympia Horse Show we are working to make the World’s best equestrian Christmas party as sustainable and environmentally friendly as possible. To achieve this we have been in discussions with the Olympia Venue, the local council, and all of our catering companies and many more.
Read on to find out how Olympia Horse Show is going green.
Food and Drink:
- Nearly all of our catering outlets offer a discount on hot drinks if you bring your own re-useable cup, cutting down on hot cups.
- We are discouraging single use plastics. Bring your own water-bottle and fill up from three hydration stations, around the halls, free of charge.
- Plastic straws are banned
- Many of the catering outlets only use sustainable veg-ware packaging and wooden cutlery
Recycling and Waste:
- 100% of waste output from Olympia is diverted from landfill
- 98% of waste is recycled at a local waste management plant
- 2% is recovered as waste for energy
- Food waste is sent to an anaerobic digestion plant where it is converted into bio-fuel and fertiliser
- This year we are using 100% recyclable board for all of our signage
- Olympia Horse Show produces 75 tonnes of manure which is equivalent to the weight of 148 pillar boxes. All of this is sent to a farm in Windsor where it is composted and used for fertiliser.
- All of the venue’s energy is procured from renewable sources. The power used at Olympia in 2017 could power the London Eye for 1,693,744 rotations – so you could go on the London Eye 63 times!
What can you do:
- Bring your own water-bottle and refill at the filling stations. Not only is it environmentally friendly, but also free!
- Bring your own re-useable cup for hot drinks to cut down on non-recyclable coffee cups.
- Use public transport to travel to the Show wherever possible. Check out our Travel pages for information on how to get to the venue.
Let us know what you are doing this year to be more environmentally friendly. The best environmentally friendly action will win four tickets and warm up arena passes to their choice of performance for Olympia 2019. The actions will judged by our panel which includes the Olympia Halls Director, A1 Exhibition Cleaners, GH Haselhurst & our very own Operations Manager. To enter check out our Facebook page.